Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Monsters and the 3rd Birthday Party

After several months with an affinity to monsters, it occurred to me that I could use this new found affinity to plan my son's all-too-convenient close-to-halloween birthday party, so we did just that:) We invited several little friends from "school," as well as a couple friends with dentist-wanna-be parents. It was a great turnout for a Friday afternoon, and a huge success for the 5 and under crowd. Let me introduce you to my favorite hobby/medical condition, and Ben's least favorite hobby/medical condition... O.P.O.E.overachieving. planner. of. events.
Ok, so not the greatest picture, but he tried:) The whole house was decorated like halloween with a few Monsters, not the scary kind, around here and there...
Monster cupcakes surrounded by frankenstein heads (lime jello with cherry eyes and oreo hair) I have a close up of these too, but *someone* has misplaced that memory card... I'll find it by Christmas!
Said cupcakes. You'll noticed only a couple were decorated. This was one of the activities... Choosing your monster and adding features. They turned out so cute! Oh, and according to Isaac, they were his favorite part of the party... I thought his favorite part was presents, but, who am I to argue?                             
Some of our guests even got in on making monster masks... a couple of friends were SO into it that they made SEVERAL monster masks! I love it when a project turns out to be a hit with the new generation!
Monster Masks in use... Yep, you can hardly tell who it is... Very monster-y!
One of the 4 times we have sung "Happy Birthday" to Ike this year! He is quite the candle blower-outer!
So, in recap, we had the following ultra fun Monster Mashing at the ever popular 3 year old party...
1. Monster Masks
2. Decorate your own monster cupcake
3. Monster Chasing Game (how could you resist after having a custom Monster Mask?)
4. Monster jello heads
5. Monster books for our contemplative guests... including Monster Finds a Costume, a few from Little Critter series, and My Monster Mama Loves Me So (our inspiration around here...)
6. We downloaded "The Monster Mash" kids bop version and let the kids have a real monster mash dance off- way cute!
7. Monster parting gifts including these awesome monster water squirters and monster stamps from Target Hot Spot- see- don't you wish you would've made the trip to AZ?
That was about it... Why did it take me so long to get everything ready then? Hmm. I must be slow. I do know for a fact that my O.P.O.E. is a problem for some people in my family and that each time an "event" comes along, that someone goes a little overboard and neglects other duties, but I really do have SO MUCH FUN creating, researching, and executing these fun events:) I hope I still have energy to do this for subsequent children or they're really going to be bitter:) Lets just say I don't think Chuck E. Cheese is in our near future:) More *actual birthday post* to follow...

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry we didn't make it Jamie. We ended up getting sick instead. Way more fun, right? It looked like a good time was had by all. We still have a gift for Ike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had more of what you call O.P.O.E. Oh well. I guess my kids will always have dull birthdays. :) Looks SO cute and fun, too. I don't think I should show this to Matthew and Jenny or they are going to feel completely left out. Not that they weren't invited, just kind of a long drive. :) Glad it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! And looked like a lot of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cupcakes. What fun ideas. Happy Birthday to "the other Isaac." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Isaac! From Gavin!
    Your party looked awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I would love to do a Monster-themed party someday. Maybe I will get a boy someday...

    ReplyDelete