Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Funny Random

So, I'm going to try and blog more often, now that I have the big painful one out of the way (I hate when I get so far behind and then just feel like I'm playing "catch up" in my entries). So, the weekend my dad went home (a couple of weeks ago), I, of course was feeling a little blue... Like thinking to myself, "Why oh why did anyone think to settle here ON the sun?" Anyway, we spent Saturday trying to do fun things and find positive things about Phoenix (by the way, we found lots of good things and are really trying to find a niche... but, as you can imagine, it was a tough day). Ben must've felt bad for me because he even agreed to a trip to Ikea! After our most of the day excursion to Ikea, we decided to drive the 45 minutes back home a different way and see a different (mostly ghetto) part of the city. For some reason, I just have a need to see every "area" of the city to feel comfortable (maybe Clay would suggest that it's because of my innate google mapping ability... I'm getting there Clay!)
Just as we're driving out of the ghetto area, we spot a ghetto grocery store! Ben's favorite! It was called something like grocery discount and we both thought maybe we could get some good deals on essentials... like green beans, Ike and my favorite veggie. So, we park in this ghetto lot and get a ghetto cart. The grocery finds were not great (we came out with some bilingual mango- guava poptarts, the best find). However, as we are looking at the ghetto yogurt, someone comes up to us and says, "Did you guys just move here from Laramie?" Hmm. Ben and I look at each other.. "How did he know?" We look for any sign of Wyoming apparel on us. none. Then we realize, he looks a ton like Adam Erickson. Ah! And there is his wife and two boys. It registers. (Thanks Jeffi) We have heard all about this little family of Ericksons! They just moved from Laramie too and are going to the same school as Ben. Weirdest place ever to meet up b/c it is really far from our house and we'll probably never ever go back, but it was the brightest ray of hope for my sad Saturday. Some Laramie friends. Yeah! I hope they don't think we were too weird, just so excited to talk to someone from home. Someone who can relate to their skin feeling like it'll crisp right off their bodies b/c our mountain skin just wasn't made this tough! Someone to complain about Wyoming sports with. Someone. These guys seem great. Now, one problem... can't seem to locate their contact info. Ughh!

7 comments:

  1. Glad that you made it here! Yes, swimming will be your saving grace. You will LOVE LOVE the winters. Hang in there. We've really grown to love it here. If you're ever down in the SouthEast Valley, let us know! We are in Gilbert! Our contact info is on my Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a HAPPY story. Maybe that is because I like to find connections and NEED connections in order to survive. Glad you found some peoples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Aunt Sue lives in Phoenix and I love it! Although I don't live there! Maybe I will get the chance to come see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are loving it more and more everyday:) Thanks to all for the well-wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I deleted my comment because it had my email in it....but I found yours...so check for an email from me. Anyway, I hope you guys can get to know Aaron and Lisa....they are great to know. I am sure Spencer would love your visits too......he is the most friendly kid I know. :) Take care! oxoxoxo ~Jeffi

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will be sure to get to know them! We bought a membership to the Phx Science Center with extra free passes so I can "buy" some friends, so we'll see if that works;) No, I think these guys sound great and can't wait to kow them better!

    ReplyDelete