I saw one of our friends who just moved to a new city with a post like this a few months ago and it brought back oh so many memories and now, trueisms:) Thanks for the idea! As you know, I use this blog as much for my personal history and journaling as I do for blogstalker enjoyment! With our move to a new area has come this "dating experience." Let me explain...
Just as when we were single and went on dates to find people we had things in common with or chose NOT to pursue certain individuals (eh hem.), we once again "date" or "consider dating" couples and families that we might have common ground, or a good time with. And just like dating, it s a little tango... Is it too soon to call? I don't want to seem too eager... Do you think they just said let's get together sometime to be nice, or did they really mean it? She smiled at me, would she like to be my new friend? Or, do I have my skirt tucked into my nylons? (that happened to me when I was little...) Should I start up a conversation with the random mom at the library/park/market or would they think I was "desperate?" Oh, they like (fill in the blank), so do we... is that enough in common to "make it work?" Funny huh!
Ok, maybe a bit of an exageration with a pinch of truth. And the answer is, yes, to all of the above... seem desperate! Maybe they'll take pity on me:) and of course, we are a little desperate! Making friends has gone very well, it's just been SO LONG since I "started from scratch" in a new town with not many "leads." Its different this time b/c we have kids and I have a hubby who can't devote much time to the effort, but I'll sell us all and get some friends real. quick. really. Just like in dating, patience little one. patience. I love that word.
Jumping Back In!
1 year ago




Why do there have to be so many pretenses to making a friend? Why can't we just say what we mean? I wish it were this way. Then we wouldn't have to "date" as much, in either sense of the word. :)
ReplyDeleteI like your analogy with dating and finding new friends. I hadn't thought about it on those terms before, but you are right. It is very similar. Good luck with your new "dating game." Friends were key to helping me survive Tyler's school/residency years. Does dental school have a playgroup or spouse support organization?
ReplyDeleteYour house looks nice. I'm glad it worked out so well for you.
We're dating too! It's tough making new friends but because you guys are so nice you'll have no problem making new friends!
ReplyDeleteToo cute! You are right though. However, I find that we are so lucky as members of our church because no matter where we move there will always be a ward to move into...now you still have to date in your ward but it makes it a little easier knowing that we are bound to find someone in our ward who also likes nerdy board games as much as we do!!Good luck on your friend search. We love you and miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteYep, dating is challenging and I wish we could all just agree to be best buds, but Emily, you are right... having church does give us a good group to start with:)
ReplyDeleteLaura- glad to hear you are still "dating!" We would date you guys anytime! With Ben's random love for geology and our shared interest in "hippifying motherhood" it would be a sure hit:)
Angie- we do have some student spouse groups (I'm going to my first pool party tomorrow with them)! Should be a good time:) I know having a few friends and fun things going on will be a key to "survival!" Oh what a ride!